We love Eggplant Parmesan and this recipe for Eggplant Rollatini is adapted from Eleanora Scarpetta. It is a bit more labor intensive than the normal Eggplant Parmesan recipe, but a nice change and very yummy.
Flour for dusting
4 large eggs
1 t salt
1 t freshly ground black pepper
2 T grated pecorino romano cheese
2 medium-small eggplants( about 1 1/2 lbs) peeled and sliced lengthwise in to 1/8 in slices
1/2 cup olive oil
1 lb fresh or processed whole milk ricotta cheese(if using processed ricotta, drain overnight by placing in a sieve set over a bowl in the refrigerator overnight)I USED PART-SKIM RICOTTA
2 T fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 cup shredded whole milk mozzarella cheese, I USED PART-SKIM MOZZARELLA
1/2 recipe quick neapolitan marinara sauce (recipe follows)
-The original recipe calls for using 1/4 lb. of thinly sliced prosciutto and adding a slice atop each eggplant slice prior to adding the cheese mixture.
Preheat oven to 350.
1. Place 3 eggs, salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and the grated romano cheese in a bowl and mix until blended.
2. Dip eggplant slices in flour, then in egg mixture. The original recipe calls for using 2 eggs for this - found I needed to add another egg.
3. Heat olive oil in a large, deep skillet until hot but not smoking. Fry eggplant slices in oil, about 2 minutes per side until golden. Remove to paper towels to drain. Let cool.
4. Mix drained ricotta with the remaining egg, mozzarella, parsley and 1/2 tsp of pepper. Set aside.
5. Place a slice of eggplant on a flat surface. Spread 1 rounded tablespoon of ricotta mixture on top of eggplant . Beginning from the wider end, roll up eggplant from top to bottom. Repeat with all eggplant slices.
6. Pour 1 cup of marinara sauce and 1/2 cup water into an 8 x 12 in baking dish. Place eggplant rolls side by side, seam side down on top of sauce. Pour remaining sauce over eggplant, cover and bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Remove from oven and let cool a few minutes before serving.
Quick Neopolitan Marinara Sauce
Makes about 1 quart
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
3 garlic cloves, pressed or finely chopped
1/2 t salt
1 35 oz can whole plum tomatoes with juice, pureed in blender
2 T finely chopped flat leaf parsley
4-6 fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
Heat olive oil in pan then saute onion, garlic and salt until onions are softened.
Add rest of ingredients, cover partially and simmer, stirring occasionally for 25 minutes.
Rollatini in pan prior to placing sauce on top and baking
Ready to eat